Confession of Faith
Our theological commitment to the Anabaptist/Mennonite faith is grounded in the centrality of Jesus Christ. The North Suburban Mennonite Church Confession of Faith summarizes this commitment.
Confession of Faith
We believe God is revealed to us through Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit, and the Bible. The fellowship of believers aids us in our understanding of God.
We believe God has created us in the divine image with free will, moral character, and a spiritual nature. Through our selfishness and self-centeredness, we alienate ourselves from God. God’s infinite grace, as expressed in Jesus Christ, heals our brokenness, restores relationships, and gives eternal life to those who accept it.
In response to God’s love, we confess our sinfulness and accept God’s plan for reconciliation. This acceptance calls us to reject our self-centeredness and turn to Christ as the focus of our lives. Believing that Christ lived, died, and was resurrected in order that we might be made whole, we publicly commit ourselves to Christ. Believers’ baptism symbolizes that commitment and membership in the covenant community, the church.
We believe the church is a primary location and agent of God’s love in the world. Christ established the church to reach beyond itself into the world, and to minister to our human need. We believe that the Mennonite faith brings a unique perspective to our commitment to Christ.
Affiliation with NSMC
As an Anabaptist congregation, North Suburban Mennonite Church practices believer’s baptism. All those who:
- are baptized upon their confession of faith or have affirmed their infant baptism by sincerely confessing their faith through catechism and confirmation;
- regularly worship with the congregation;
- give the firstfruits of income and energy to the work of the church; and,
- state their desire to be affiliated with North Suburban Mennonite Church;
shall be received as an affiliate of the congregation.
Affiliate status is attained:
- at the time of baptism within the congregation upon confession of Christian faith, or
- upon an expression of the desire to affiliate with the congregation accompanied by a sincere confession of Christian faith and previous believer’s baptism, or
- upon an expression of the desire to affiliate with the congregation accompanied by a sincere confession of Christian faith and previous infant baptism followed by catechism and confirmation.